Thursday, April 07, 2011

A View of the Martian Sufrace From Viking 1

This view is a super-resolution view of some the area behind Viking lander 1.  It uses images taken between 1976 and 1978.   A large pile of rocks can be seen, as well as a small crater on the horizon.  I did this work in 2004.  One of my goals is to rework some of these images again.   At the time, I stacked the images in an 8-bit format.  By using a 16-bit format, I can minimize data loss as the image goes from through various stages of processing (given the size of the images and the limited memory/speed of the computer I was using at the time, working with 16-bit data was prohibitive). 
The second image is a vertically stretched version of the above image.  The stretching makes recognition of the crater rim easier.

Processed Images Copyright Ted Stryk, Raw Data Courtesy NASA/JPL

No comments: